jueves, enero 11, 2007

Ready to Roll

Peter asked me yesterday if I was now ready to go home. He wasn’t the first person this week to pose that question to me, and just like the previous times, I was lost for an answer. On some level I was ready to return to the familiarity of Canada, and my family, a couple of months ago. However, at the same time, I don’t think I’d actually be fully ready to go home for yet a couple of years, and couple more countries.

With one day of work left here in Barcelona, I have spent this week psyching myself up for leaving this catalan world that has been my home for the past 7 months. Packing up all of the crap I’ve managed to accumulate in just over half a year is incredible. I’ve been attempting to prioritize what is and is not important enough to haul back to Canada, but almost every scrap of paper seems too sentimental to leave behind, and without it I’m afraid I might forget the attached memory. Essentially I’m a bit of a packrat, and this is a problem when the weight limit of my luggage is only 50kg.

This is my final posting from Barcelona. Adventures in Eastern Europe now await me beginning this Saturday in Stuttgart. It will be interesting to see how much I can do in only 3 weeks, because my current itinerary is maxed out, and would rival that of any Japanese tourbus company. If all goes as planned I will land in Toronto in the evening of February 3rd. I expect that the biggest adjustment will once again be the switch in languages. To be surrounded by English will be so strange; I’m sure I will eavesdrop on conversations that I don’t mean to, just because I can. Slowly I will begin to take day-to-day interactions, as well as the media and television, for granted. I am used to being surrounded by the loud noise of a big city, but it is just noise, and I’m in my own thoughts too much of the time. I will have to re-Canadianize myself, but that shouldn't take long with hockey on tv, snow on the ground, bbq'd food, pasturized milk in the fridge, and a trip to Georgain Bay.

Anyway, enough contemplation about home; I have to concentrate on the upcoming trip, and the rest will just come.

Let the rain falling on Eastern Europe turn to snow asap!

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Very nice picture. I like Spain. Most of all I like Barcelona. It is magic city. It's no wonder why Barcelona city is so popular. Fabulous architecture, brilliant Spanish cuisine, flamboyant culture and wonderful weather combine to make Barcelona a truly magnificent city. The works of Antoni Gaudi dominate the city of Barcelona.
Also I like that many of hotels in Barcelona are not expensive. And of course a trip to Barcelona wouldn't be complete without strolling down Las Ramblas through stalls selling flowers and birds, the street artists inventing even more intriguing things to mime and be painted up as statues, and buy packs of fresh fruit from the colourful market.